Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Byzantine Chant

    Before I began pursuing Orthodox Christianity I had never before heard of Byzantine chant. I remember my girlfriend asking me if I ever heard it before and explaining that it most resembled to her what worship in heaven would be like.
   I have to say that after becoming acquainted with it in the liturgies at church and at monasteries (mainly St. Anthony's in Arizona), I agree with that statement. There is a depth to the chant of the Orthodox Church that reaches somewhere deeper than any other music I have ever heard.

This one particularly touches me:


Service: Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (in english)
Composer: Maistor Ioannes Koukouzeles
Performers: Cappella Romana
Album: The Divine Liturgy In English In Byzantine Chant

No comments:

Post a Comment