Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why People Become Orthodox.

                                


 This is partially a plug for Father Stephen's blog 'Glory to God for All Things' but also a link to a wonderful post and, subsequently, an even better discussion following. It essentially touches on people's own journeys to the faith. Many (especially those in North America) waded through the vast seas of protestantism, others through atheism, eastern religion, and various other situations and backgrounds. I just find it so touching and amazing that the Holy Spirit can lead even the most cold-hearted, doubtful, and apathetic souls to Christ's church.
   I used to, as my excuse for not looking into Orthodox Christianity, ask 'Why don't I ever hear or see people converting?' 'It's just full of Greeks and Russians...its cultural...dead religion.'.   I made all these assumptions without ever once exploring the history of Orthodoxy.....that is.....of Christianity itself.  I somehow looked past 1500 years of Christianity (the Reformation was where Christianity really started right?). I looked past nations like Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Russia, Georgia, Albania, Romania, Egypt, Ethiopia, and Ukraine, all who have a very solid foundation of Orthodoxy and have produced innumerable holy and spirit-filled Saints as examples for us. I had to pull my mind out of the idea that the only Christian nation that was still 'living' was america and realize that Christianity started over 'there'. The fact is, the Church has been evangelizing and people have been converting for 2000 years. I was wrong.

   These are of course my own thoughts and shortcomings. I don't assume it's everyone's experience.  

    Anyways I may expand on my experience at another time but for now I will pass on Father Stephen's blog entry. I hope it edifies at least a few.

    'Why People Become Orthodox.'

No comments:

Post a Comment